New York, New York - My Daily Adventures in the Big Apple


Okay, so I think it's about time that I revisit the wonderful world of blogging. As many of my lovely friends know, I am currently interning at a pretty awesome (and big!) company in New York City. The Big Apple is a lovely place to be, but I have to say that I've seen my share of odd things in my first two weeks of work here. So in honor of my newfound New-Yorkerness, I will dedicate this post to the top 5 weirdest/most disturbing things I've witnessed on the streets of New York. Check it out:

  1) Crazy fashions - While boarding the subway today, I saw a guy wearing a feather headdress. Seriously. It might have looked cool if he had an olive skin tone and looked Native American, but the man was clearly Caucasian. Fail. I've also seen a guy with hot pink suspenders, a woman wearing gym socks over her stockings, and a girl with star-shaped earrings so large they could have passed for bracelets. I wish I had photos to show you all, but I haven't yet mastered the art of discreetly whipping out my phone to sneak a quick picture.

  2) A man using a phone booth (but not the phone) - That's right. I guess he was a little drunk and confused this phone booth with a urinal. And he had absolutely no shame despite the fact that he was relieving himself in the middle of a busy New York sidewalk. Lovely.

  3) Feisty bums - I can't go a day in the City without homeless men hitting on me. I don't know what it is about their lifestyle that makes them more prone to obnoxious catcalling, but I definitely do not appreciate it. Are they thinking that it will inspire me to give them my loose change? When they pay me a compliment, are they expecting me to pay them back? I don't know...

  4) Scooters - This is a very interesting trend I've noticed in New York. Remember the razor scooter that was the toy of the decade back in the early 2000's? Well, commuters here like to use said scooter to get where they're going faster. And I'm not talking about little kids. Older people, men and women dressed in suits and dresses, ride around on these like they're the coolest things ever. They look quite funny, actually.

  5) Paris Hilton - Okay, so this doesn't count as weird or disturbing. On the contrary, meeting her made me realize that celebrities (in spite if their glamorous lifestyles and expensive clothes) are human beings. And they actually do exist apart from on our television screens! They're part of our metaphysical reality! Isn't that crazy? I've met a few less famous celebs, but Paris is probably the one that shocked me the most. I saw her with her parents; she was acting like a normal girl and enjoying the company of her family and friends. And that just made me think: even though she's larger than life, she's just like any of us at the end of the day. And that's the part I thought could possibly fit under the "weird" label, since you wouldn't really expect it.

  So there's my list. I hope it's given you a little glimpse as to what being in the City every day is like. All I can say is that I'm thoroughly appreciating my time at this fabulous internship and soaking up the culture of the greatest city in the world. I'm really excited to reenter the blogosphere, and I hope you'll stay tuned for more lists and anecdotes and all that good stuff in the future.

Peace,

KT :)

(Image from weheartit.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment