Why I will never be a bridezilla


  So I was checking out a magazine website (Glamour.com, to be exact), and I came across the sweetest article I've ever read. Clicking on the link, I was taken to a page that featured a photo of a beautiful wedding gown any bride-to-be would kill for. But you know what was even more lovely than the dress? The story behind it! It turns out that the young bride had created the dress from a parachute - specifically, the parachute that saved her future husband's life while he was serving in World War II. Weddings were expensive (yes, even then), and the fabrics to make a gown were not readily available. So they used something that meant so much to them in their wedding. How cute is that?  

  I'm a huge sucker for romance and love stories, so I naturally love the idea of wedding details with sentimental value. I remember that when my one of my cousins got married, he and his wife gave pear-shaped wedding favors because our last name means "pear-pickers." And another cousin gave love letter openers that alluded to the letter-exchanging relationship of John and Abigail Adams. At the risk of sounding cliche here, it really is the story behind something that matters most.

  There's nothing I hate more than when grooms and bridezillas get so obsessed with perfection and the expenses of the party that they miss the whole point of the wedding. After all, a wedding is meant to celebrate two people (not their sense of taste or the thickness of their wallets.) Spending zillions of dollars on a lavish ceremony and party is all well and good, but a wedding is not about how fabulous everything looks and how many tiers the cake has. It's supposed to celebrate the everlasting love between a man and woman. If you look at it that way, then the parachute gown becomes way more valuable and beautiful than any Vera Wang dress. And while I have not yet come up with any brilliant ideas on how to incorporate sentimental details into my own future wedding (whenever that should happen), I can promise that I will be far more excited about marrying my husband than about outdoing Prince William and Kate Middleton's royal celebration.

(image and article from http://glmr.me/msUoEC)

No comments:

Post a Comment